Tuesday, November 4, 2008

President-Elect Obama

After a long up-hill battle, we proved to the world...

Yes We Can and Yes We Did!

This is truly a wonderful day for America and for the world at large.


With a small popular margin and a large electoral vote the U.S. has elected the smart man as 44th President of the United States of America.


No longer must we apologize for our hostile attitudes. No longer do Americans need to hang their heads in sadness regarding U.S. administrative arrogance. We have sent a message loud and clear to the rest of the world that we still want to be part of the whole equation.

Our new President-elect, Barack Hussein Obama!!

My message to friends and family on this historic day...

I am so exuberant and joyful over the election results that I am barely coherent. This is truly a great day for America and the world.

As someone who, over 45 years ago, was picketing and marching for civil rights--the right of a black American to simply go order food at a lunch counter, to use a public toilet or drink from a public fountain, to ride where they chose on a bus--I would not have believed this moment would come in my lifetime.

What a wonderful experience to vote for a winning Black-American for the office of President and to feel that by joining the fight for civil rights I may have contributed in some way to bringing us to this point.

But beyond that, Americans have now chosen the focused, intelligent, articulate candidate for a change. I no longer have to wince when someone asks me what country I am from. I can hold my head high and say, yes, I'm American. We have sent a loud and clear message to the world that we want to come back from the radical fringe of society and join the community of decent honorable people. We have rejected the low road of hate and intolerance and instead have chosen openness and discussion; peace and hope for a better future.

No comments: